Thursday, August 6, 2009

Marking the Brownie

I recently read this book called "Blue Moon" part of Alyson Noel's Immortals series. Toward the end of the book she had the protagonist understand the feeling of home, in the way I try to portray through my blog. I felt the need to share. Ever, the main character, lost her whole family in a car accident. Her little sister, Riley kept appearing to her throughout the first story in the series, as Ever was able to see her spirit. Riley crossed over, and since then Ever has been unable to see her, though Riley promised she'd give her a sign that she was still there. This part in "Blue Moon" brought tears to my eyes.

"I reach toward the stack of brownies. Going for the smallest square, figuring I'll just eat it and run. But when I see the unmistakable letter E carved right in its center--I know.
It's my sign.
The one I've been waiting for all along.
Just when I'd given up hope, Riley pulled through. Marking the smallest brownie on the plate with my initial in the exact same way that she used to do.
And when I look for the largest one and see an R carved onto it, I definitely know it's from her. The secret message, the one she promised, right before she left me for good....
I plucked it off the plate and plopped it into my mouth, closing my eyes as I savor its chewy sweetness, immediately immersed in the feeling of home. That wonderful place I was so lucky to revisit, no matter how short a time--finally realizing it's not relegated to just one single place, it's wherever you make it."

How many senses bring us home again?
The smell of cinnamon bread
The taste of homemade chicken soup
The feeling of the fireplace's warmth
The sound of happy footsteps
The sight of mountains.

1 comment:

  1. Miss you very much, Amanda...
    Will be thinking of you with every taste of your yummy jelly! Thank you sweet heart ~ Mom

    ReplyDelete