Saturday, June 6, 2009

Today's Forecast


(a photo from our trip to Florida 7/2007)
My brother, an Atmospheric Science major who also has a fabulous sense of humor, messaged me today and said "Sure, blame the weatherman. Today's forecast is interesting skies with 100% chance of awesomeness." :) He's so funny!!!

Weather is powerful, seductive, beautiful, emotional. It is powerful in that it can kill hundreds, and drive people miles and miles from their homes. It is seductive in that when purple-white lightening sparkle across the sky and the thunder answers the flash I want to be cuddled up in the arms of the one I love. The weather is emotional; cloudy days bring with them sadness, and sunny days bring out spontaneity and happiness. Everything about the weather is beautiful.

Weatherman have a job that leaves them incorrect much of the time, and blame on their shoulders. The weather is unpredictable for as hard as people try to do it. My brother explained to me once that no wise weatherman would put down a percent chance of rain any lower than twenty. There's always a twenty percent chance of rain even when you're 99.9% sure of the sun. Even still, studying the weather has got to be one of the most fascinating studies of all, which is perhaps why my father and brother both studied it... and why I almost did and sometimes wish I had.

I'm going to end this blog with a hilarious quote by George Carlin
“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”

2 comments:

  1. I love the men in our family *and the well-read and insightful* daughters :)

    "It takes both rain and sunshine to make a rainbow" :God's promise in the sky:
    ~m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earth, Air, Fire and Water... All so beautify, all so precious, all so necessary for life. The earth grounds us, fire diciplines us, water quenches us, but the air... The air frees us... for even the Spirit of God is like it... "so is everyone born of the Spirit" (John 3:8). Predict it's coming and going, no it's not possible really, but just as we seek the Spirit, we are compelled to try.

    ReplyDelete